Friends-
So this was a solid week on the mish. We as a companionship hit the standard of excellence for the first time in 10 weeks which was solid. The standard of excellence is pretty tough in this mission so it was a great week for us. Feeling super blessed. So here's to a great week!
Craziest Lunch Ever
Okay so this week Elder L and I got invited over to lunch at a guys house. We didn't know if he would remember he said he would feed us so we ate before we went over. Well, he remembered. We arrived at 2 and he gave us some nice soup. He gave us some Coke to drink too and we all know how filling soda is. So after like half a bowl of soup and about a full liter of Coke I am feeling pretty full. I down the second half of the bowl only to be given a second bowl. When the third bowl was offered and I politely declined he then proclaimed, "Oh what you don't like it?...Oh no, I know what it is! You want Ice Cream!" All I could say was, "You read my mind..." So we eventually got around to watching the restoration video while I continued to force down this chocolate ice cream. So Joseph is being such a stud and walking to the grove and all, I'm just loving it. Then the beautiful song starts playing and he's about to start praying when this guy starts having a coughing attack. Thought he was gonna die. After a recovery of that, somehow, the movie was over. Then we had a good discussion about the eternal welfare of his soul, he talked about how much he loves Elder L, he gave us some bacon, and we headed home...yep.
Church
So currently we have a super sick investigator named T who is a miracle in many different ways but anyways, he's a stud. So we prayed a lot that he would somehow come to church, because as of late that tends to be a problem the mission is having. Well it was way awesome to wake up on Sunday morning and find a text from him saying he was coming to church. So we showed up to church and did church stuff. He showed up at 12:45 when sacrament was just about to start and we went and sat down. Normally I would be pretty stoked but the two families in front of us had children that were going absolutely crazy (payback for when he was younger and doing the same thing)! I was seriously praying the whole time that they would just settle down. To make matters even crazier, the subjects for the talks were FHE and shepherding in the ward. However I think he did have a really good experience and we felt extremely blessed to have him in attendance. This Wednesday Elder N and I will be teaching him with our boss of a ward mission leader, B. That should be way interesting. Elder L and Elder J will be in Oslo for Mission Leader Conference so we get another splits experience this Wednesday, stay tuned.
Some Random Things
-At night we like to light candles in our apartment and set them all around the room and then turn the lights off. Its so peaceful. When the AP's came on splits we set up a romantic dinner for them, it was awesome.
-We have a meeting with two Kenyans, who may want to bible battle, this week which should be interesting.
-Transfers are in like two weeks, so be careful sending letters directly to me and not the mission office.
-Its still not that cold here, I am disappointed. Not kidding.
-My current exercise goal is getting more flexible. Its definitely a work in progress. Don't worry though ladies, I still do push ups and pull ups.
-Christmas stuff is in the stores here, it's so weird.
-UKA is finally over, hallelujah.
-Our ward is now starting a missioinary/member project that should bring a lot of success. We are way excited about it and hopefully there will be more to come on that.
-I tried on my thermals and they fit perfectly except for the waist. The waist for some reason is like 6 inches too big on both pairs haha. Luckily with my seamstress skills it was an easy fix, yeah... I am a man of many trades.
-I find 'The District' highly entertaining. Seriously the funniest thing ever to watch. Can't even explain it, and only missionaries can understand it but its so funny.
That's All
Well I know this wasn't a super exciting letter but I hope some of you found it worthwhile. It was a pretty exciting week. I should start making notes of things that I want to say. A shout out to those of you that write hand written letters, it means a lot. Nothing is better than opening the mail box and seeing something for you! So definitely a heartfelt thank you to those of you out there who take the time to do that. To the rest of you....yeah. Well anyways, it was a solid week. I currently am attempting to think of something profound or cool to say that would inspire and uplift but I really can't. Our companion studies this week have been focused on the Prophet Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon. The two keystone parts of religion. We watched Elder Hollands talk "Safety for the Soul." and I think that pretty much sums up how we feel about the book and the prophet. There is nothing more worthwhile than a young man could choose to do than serve a mission, and nothing more life-changing than the gospel of Jesus Christ. Its such a blessing to be here, but it definitely isn't for the experience, and it definitely isn't for the fun of it. That said, I wouldn't trade this for the world. Be good my wonderful people.
Clear eyes, full hearts.
Much Love
Elder Shanklin
No comments:
Post a Comment