Monday, December 16, 2013

Big Wind, Bachelor Pads& Baptisms-Trondheim Week Sixteen

WHAT A WEEK.

Seriously the most stressful, rewarding, crazy week on my mission. This is one to share with the neighbors and gather the kids around the table for...
Hurricane in Trondheim
So on Thursday this week we had a conference for the North Zone. The conference was way legit and very insightful as always. The north zone is pretty cool because it's like 18 elders and 6 sisters. So things get smelly but it's fun having bro chills. Speaking of bro chills...so at like 4:00 all of the missionaries besides us  and 4 other missionaries went to the airport to fly home. Elder Skinner and I went on splits with some missionaries and on the way back to the church the wind started going crazy. At one point I swear I was standing at a 45 degree angle. If you tried to spit I'm not sure it could have made it out of your mouth. We got inside and jokingly were like 'hey it's like a hurricane out there dudes'. Well not so much of a joke because then we start getting bombarded with member calls: "ELDERS STAY INSIDE! THE POLICE HAVE CLOSED DOWN THE CITY BECAUSE WINDS ARE REACHING 100MPH!!! STAY INSIDE!!".At this point I just think it's hilarious the entire city is closed down because of wind but hey, whatever man haha. We joked that two cops were just sitting there eating donuts and had the following conversation:
-'Hey Joe, winds are pretty strong out there'
-'Yeah man its like the most exciting thing to happen in Norway in 25 years'
-'Dude...lets close down the city'
-'Heck man, it's a Thursday...lets get crazy!'
More or less that is exactly what could have happened. So we start getting calls from the airport. The airport has now lost power and ALL flights leaving Trondheim and coming in have been cancelled for the night. The police have put out a warning saying nobody should be on the streets until 9:00pm. It's only 5 at this point so the church immediately transferred into a makeshift bachelor pad. It. Was. Legendary. Between ping pong, basketball, breaking the giant toy cabinet on the stage, and watching Monsters Inc...it was crazy. Of course we got permission to watch Monsters Inc. So then at 9:00 we crammed 18 smelly elders into our apartment. It smelled AWFUL. I can still smell it to this very day. No joke. The place smells awful and they ate all our food. It was way fun though. Plus I can now say I survived a hurricane on my mission. It was seriously determined to be a hurricane, they even gave it a name. Norwegians crack me up haha.  Mom Note: The following video was sent to me by a member of Elder Shanklins Ward (congregation).  I am sure the Norwegians were thinking, "These Americans Crack me up! 


Craziest Saturday Everrrrrr
Saturday was Thunder Bears baptism. I would love talking about it all day but, simply enough, everything went way smooth. After the baptism, we as missionaries took a picture with our most recent converts including Thunder Bear and it was epic. Members just stared as we stood there. I think it finally hit them the change that was taking place. In 3 months we, by the hand of God, had brought 3 young men under the age of 26 into the church. I think it was a testimony builder for everyone that we are only limited when we don't try. God can do all things and Elder Skinner and I were lucky enough to be an instrument in his hands. So the baptism was just way epic and it still is a little bit unreal. The stress in putting it together was crazy but the reward way uncomprehensible. I can't even describe the joy that comes to see someone making that choice. Anyways, so after that we had some planning and stuff to do before we went to a less actives birthday celebration at like 5. She is Filipino so it was hilarious. The food was awesome of course but all of these Filipino people speaking Norwegian just kills me. The party was HUGE. We expected it to be this little thing, but  150 people were there....crazy stuff. To end the day we caught a glimpse of the Northern Lights again. More like a green hazy cloud in the distance but nontheless...the northern lights. So a pretty good day to say the least.
Thunder Bears baptism
Eldste Shanklin, Thunder Bear, Eldste Skinner

Elder Skinner, Elder Shanklin,  Iron Pumper, Thunder Bear,
Sharp Eye, JP, Elder Jones, and Elder  Jensen

Staying Focused all Day
So as of late I have been thinking about staying focused on a mission and in life because many missionaries get distracted by things of the world. I received revelation this week that I seriously can't get distracted, it's just not who I am. I am 110% focused on this work and for some strange reason nothing can phase that. For example; at the birthday party the other night they had music that was not mormon missionary standards (sounds like Katy Perry came out with a nice new song) but it totally doesn't even bother me, my focus is laser sharp. The YSA also likes to joke about my Jennifer Lawrence love and some missionaries think it's weird that I can joke about that buuut yeah its like not distracting at all for me. Kind of hard to explain, I think the message for my mother is: Don't worry about me, not really anything can distract me and I wont be coming home until July 2015. The work is epic and I could have Jennifer Lawrence wall paper in the apartment and still be on top of my game (Elder Skinner already vetoed the idea). Pretty much my focus is like my boy Taylor Leavitt at the free throw line...just money all day. So my advice, FIND WHAT IS RIGHT AND BE FOCUSED. I went through some stuff to get to this point in my life and I am so grateful that I can be focused on such a awesome thing. Anyways, yeah so my closing thought is actually a sick quote my brother sent me: "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." Deep stuff from pokemon my friends. Just out here in Norway making the best of every day. In the words of my MMK (ward mission leader) "If youre not reaching your potential than it doesn't matter how good you are". Be good my dear people, the church is true and the book is blue. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts.
Much Love
Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment