Creative juices running on an all time low brothas and sistas. So this week will just be what it is. I think maybe next week I'll put my letter in the form of a song. That'd be talent.
News this week for Halden Norway Feb 24th. 2014
A Legend is Born
We here at Halden News are reporting from across the pond in the middle of nowhere. Signs claim it to be called Springfield, Missouri. We report that a young citizen in the town, Justin Shanklin, will be receiving his mission call shortly. Yours truly, Julie Summers asked the young legend, "What is it that you look forward to most of this event". The young man responded with an understandable, "I just hope to be able to live up to the reputation of the one and only Braydon Court Shanklin. I know it seems like a daunting task but if I could ever come close to his status of legendary....wow. Just trying to do my best Julie." Well we here at Halden News 1 wish young Justin luck in this more than impossible task. The Braydon Court Shanklin chimed in here at Halden News 1 with the following, "I couldn't be prouder of him. People in school and such outside of the church think they get it, but they really only see a small part.Sure it's fun, sure it helps you grow, but more importantly we represent the Lord Jesus Christ. Nothing can compare to fighting side by side with your brother in the army of God. Nothing." Julie Summers reporting from Halden 1.
American Fails Driving Test
It was the 19th of February and missionary Braydon Court Shanklin for the LDS church was scheduled to take his driving test. In preparation for this test he was sent on splits down to Fredrikstad with Elder Rice. As clarified by the Mormon missionaries, this event called a "split" is a temporary time period in which missionaries are placed with a new companion in order to better learn and grow from eachother. The events preceeding the driving test were rather ordinary. The two elders concluding preparations for the day by making a song to the tune of "everytime we touch" in which the normal lyrics were replaced by scriptures from Songs of Solomon. Yes, it is expected that there will be an itunes format of the song available soon. The driving test was to be conducted by the infamous NAME CENSORED DUE TO INTERNATIONAL ORDER 86. Elder Shanklin quotes "I felt from the moment I got in the car that I was going to fail, he didn't want to talk to me and I knew he was the same guy who had failed Elder Rice". Well, the young missionary met his predetermined fate. Not very suprised Shanklin returned the results to his driving teacher who with a dropped draw exclaimed, "Meget overasskende" which translates to "completely suprising". The Halden weekly news quoted the teacher saying that exactly line over 16 times on the ride home. Elder Shanklin came with a surprising comment to viewers and driving test fans everywhere, "It just felt right, for some weird reason I don't think I was supposed to pass, the reasons listed were things that I would apparently do wrong in any country, however I did fairly well on my US test. I just don't think I was supposed to get it. There's no excuses. I failed. I am at peace, as I sat on the bus on the ride home the most overwhelming comfort came over me, I drove well, it just wasn't supposed to be". Many claim that Elder Shanklin is being humbled as his before mission attitude could be summarized by, "You ain't got nothing on the Shank". He concluded this epic day in history by eating the a kebab from your local Kebab and Pizza House. Nobody knows why he failed but the Shank continues to take one day at a time. As a once famous person we can't remember said, "you can't win em all". Julie Summers reporting from Halden 1.
Miracles have not Ceased in the Latter Days
This is a weekly update coming to you live, 3 days after the event took place. Two hladen missionaries were found in the apartment of a young ethopian man this last Friday. The two missionaries apparently were caught "teaching the first lesson". As of now there are no fatalities and all parties seem to be in cooperation. The young man did not seem to be too thrown off by the elders lack of teaching experience so far in the area. We are as of now unsure what will come of the situations. Authorities are keeping a close eye on the young man in hope that they keep him and the elders in good circumstances. The Jr. Companion Elder Corrigan was caught in high spirits after the event saying "we're going to baptize this guy!!!!" His trainer Elder Shanklin claims that the event was indeed a blessing and that he will be careful with how the two proceed into further contact. Julie Summers reporting from Halden 1.
So yep that was pretty much it from this week. Two cool little incidences. Wow that was a hard word to spell. I think it's still wrong. I know my brother is loving the fact a failed my driving test so just bring it on strong, if there's anyone on the big green earth who needs humbling we know who it is. HATE MAIL ME!!! To add to the pain a member showed me this week that my brother is the background on my moms facebook. I see how it is. Really though, I don't want my parents to think I'm struggling from sorrow or something. It's all good. Just means I get to serve in big cities my whole mission, which rocks because I'd take street contacting over knocking doors any day. I think haha. Plus one day my wife will make me her facebook background. Maybe. Anyways.... So this week I actually adopted a "sanctify ourselves" strategy. It came from a video/talk from Elder Holland. I love the last line that comes from the book of Joshua that reads, "Sanctify yourselves: for to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you." I thought a lot about that and realized if I want the Lords blessings and wonders then I truly need to sanctify myself as a missionary. Sanctification is difficult and when I think of the proccess literally, it is a slow process of eliminating all imperfections. The Lord doesn't expect it to be done at once, but he does expect gradual improvement. I feel so blessed with the gifts and talents the Lord has given me, but my imperfections are what prevent me from being the best missionary I can. It will be incredible to see the miracles the Lord can perform among us as we eliminate our weaknesses and become strong through the atonement of Christ. "In an even more serious kind of spiritual warfare, brethren, the day may come—indeed, I am certain will come—when in an unexpected circumstance or a time of critical need, lightning will strike, so to speak, and the future will be in your hands."
Clear eyes. Full heart.
Elder Shanklin
p.s. a shout out of love to my beautiful aunt, uncle, and cousins out in Utah! Wishing you the fastest recovery and keeping you guys in my prayers! LOVE YOU!
No comments:
Post a Comment