First: This one has got to go out to Justin Shanklin who is going to be reppin the Shanklin name in Ecuador Guayaquil South Mission! Couldn't be more proud! Words can't express it.
Second: Momma Shanklin, for an awesome package with some great New Orleans food!
Third: Grandpa!!! Had a birthday this last Sunday I believe! I saw some Norwegian music records the other day in an attic and thought of you haha. Hope your birthday was awesome!
Well this week could prove to be rather exciting for the readers. Let's do it.
The Big News
So this Thursday we all took a trip to Oslo to enjoy a nice training meeting with all the missionaries in the East Zone. Elder Corrigan and I had to make a nice stroll across Oslo before we got to the Young Adult Center where the meeting would be held. Right as a got inside the mission president came up and starting talking to the group of missionaries I was with. As he exited the circle he pointed at me and said "I need to chat with you after the meeting". A lot of things run through your head at that point: Am I being a bad trainer? Did someone in my family die? Did we do something wrong last week? Should I not be buying soda with the church money? So as you can tell I was tortured during the whole meeting to know what was going to be chatted about. So the meeting was way fun and afterwards I went and sat down with him. The conversation was something like this:
Pres: So 3 people in church last week in Halden. That was pretty amazing.
Me: Yeah it was a huge blessing from the Lord.
Pres: Well...you're leaving Halden.
Me:....
Pres: I'm bringing you here and making you district leader.
So yep that was the conversation that I totally did not expect to happen. It is kind of weird to be separated from your trainee but I guess I am needed more in Oslo. It should be a fun assignment to be a district leader there. It's the largest district in Norway and easily has the most people in the area. There are so many people in Oslo. So yep I am off to Oslo with a new companion. The new address is...
Pilestredet Park 19 #401
0176 Oslo
It should be way fun. Elder Leighton who was my trainer is going to be coming to Halden to replace me, so that's kind of funny. Don't worry if you sent package or mail to Halden, it will be easy to get it to me. Elder Leighton can just bring it up to me at a meeting.
So yep, wish me luck, 1 million people and their salvation are now in my hands. Woot woot.
The Walk
So these 2 dudes call us and want to meet up. Great. We can do that. They give me some university name and Elder Corrigan tells me he sees that on the way to Fredrikstad when we take the bus there. So I believe him but when we are on the bus he never looks at me to stop. We get to a stop called Svinesund parken and get off because it was supposed to be before that. Elder Corrigan claims he never saw it. Well it's 1:30 at this point and the appt is at 2, so we start walking back towards Halden. I was a little mad. We sped walk. Really fast. No running, just the fastest walking man kind has ever seen. So we get to our appt eventually. About 20 minutes late. SWEATING LIKE BOSSES. For those of you who were thinking of dating me, and would like a visual, this might help: I had on an undershirt, my white shirt, a suit coat, and a rain jacket (it was rather chilly), and by the time we got back after the teach the outside of my rainjacket was damp from sweat. Yeah. Gross. Speed walking is no joke of a sport my friends. The teach went well though but by this time I new I was bailing out to Oslo so I let Elder Corrigan handle most of the teach to get some experience.
 |
| Elder Corrigan at the bus stop |
Other Random Things
-Sometimes when Elder Corrigan and I get bored during lunch or late at night, we shoot rubber bands into a pot on the kitchen stove. It's great fun.
- I like taking pictures of me doing really dumb things. Reading an Arabic Book of Mormon.
-Modeling my seal skin boots. Looking fresh under a lamp post. I'm sure the pictures will show you why I love it.
-We did a lot of sleeping over with missionaries this week. We remembered our blankets and pillows though so it's all good!
Closing up
Well Halden was quite the little adventure. I learned a lot and the people here in this area were amazing. The thing I learned most though is how important it is to love the people we serve. We won't ever be perfect on our own, or come close, but the more we love the people we serve, the better we can emulate the savior and his example. We know that God is there and that he loves us. In my testimony to our ward on Sunday I shared that if people can just feel the love that we feel from the Savior, then we won't have to convince them of the truth, they will know it, and feel it. Which is what will lead to a lasting conversion. A conversion we can all better work towards. "And now behold, I say unto you, my bretheren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?"
 |
| A sad day for Elder Shanklin |
 |
| The hanger that holds over 60 ties broke!! Tragedy |
Clear Eyes, Full Heart.
Elder Shanklin
A little note that he sent to us and I thought it was appropriate to share:Well this has to be an exciting week. Justin with the mission call, and I'm going DL in Oslo. It's way cool that the president trusts me with the assignment. To be honest this was the most perfect timing. I need to step up my game. I've been a good missionary but I can be better. This assignment will push and help me to really reach my potential. Oslo will be a tough area. 150 active, 600 on paper, 55 nationalities, the sacrament meeting is done in 3 languages, craziness to say the least haha. It should be fun though. Of course if you guys have advice for me then please lay it on thick! Especially you dad! I've got some good ideas but anything will help! And congrats on going 2 for 2 so far with sons ;) never really doubted he would though haha. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment