Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Airport, American Candy & Apple Pie-Oslo Week Forty

Lots of craziness this week! As always, that was kind of a lame introduction. Elder Edwards (Elder Duncans British companion wants a shout out. Not sure why since he has a way more popular blog than mine. Brits.) So i'll just get that out of the way...

Elder Edwards

That was fun. Moving on though.

Cruisin
So this morning Elder Ellsworth and I drove the senior couple here to the airport all the way in Sandefjord. I'm still a danger to society so he drove the whole way back. They didn't wanna leave their car at the airport so we volunteered to wake up at 4:00am and get them there. I know. Saints. It was cool though, they treated us to some American candy. No complaints there, especially with some nice Piano Guys to keep us going.
Elder Shanklin and Elder Ellsworth

Standard of Excellence
So I've only hit the standard of excellence (1 baptismal date, 2 in church, 3 new investigators, all in 1 week) once before on my mission, and this first week as a zone leader became the second time. So that was pretty cool. We actually had an amazing day in church. We had 4 investigators show up and one of them was a guy I found chilling in the hallway that we taught and got a baptismal date with. A huge miracle if you ask me! Anyways though, obviously things aren't always going to be this great and wonderful but it was a great start to it all. The mission had a great week in general and our district here in Oslo did extremely well. This week we have two meetings. The first is all the Zone Leaders up in Sandvika at Presidents house and the second will be a leadership meeting for all District Leaders and Zone Leaders and that'll be here in Oslo. So we're going to need to work hard to make up for the time we are missing there.
Elder Shanklin, Elder Ellsworth and a Norwegian BYU fan!!
He is actually a member of the ward that took them out to some different places.

Elder Shanklin.....PEACE!!

This is from the top of a ski jump that they walked up too.

A-Apple Pie Thursday
Oslo is awesome because the members love feeding you. Last week we had pizza with the Young Single Adults as you all are aware but this week was an apple pie night. Each week we're going to take the next letter of the alphabet and make a food that begins with said letter. A was hard so this next week should be  better. Since our dinner providers probably read this blog I wont make any comments on the burned apple pie hahah. However it did somehow still taste fantastic so yes dad you should be a little jealous.
Which one of these is not like the other??


Crazy Drunk Girl
I'd love to go into detail on this story but I won't do it justice....so here's a summary.
-Crazy drunk girl munching on an apple, can't understand what she's saying.
-She thinks we are joking about being missionaries, trying to be funny #whodoesthat?
-She took Elder Ellsworths planner but gave it back eventually
-She used our mormon.org card to pick apple out of her teeth.
-As she left she went up and rubbed a dudes arm she didn't even know, yes he was weirded out

No she probably won't remember us next time we see her.

Star Munchkins
Elder Edwards didn't want a shout out for this so of course I am going to give it to him. The other night he brought up this game called Star Munchkins. Dude. So good. Totally a way better version of Killer Bunnies. Seriously, this is the game for Carter Shanklin. There's a ton of different versions of it. Zombie Munchkins, Cowboy Munchkins and other stuff like that. It's wayyyyyyy fun and we have now played it twice. It can be confusing but it was easily one of the best card games I have played. It requires patience and creativity though.

Investigators
I know my family and maybe some other randoms like hearing about the missionary work but for right now there is nobody super positive to mention. Hopefully this week we can find some new people and get them rolling. Our Venezuelan that Elder Duncan and I taught was sick so she missed church and now her baptismal date is going to be moved back. She's still down to be baptized though. I don't teach her anymore however, but it'll be fun to see her get baptized either way! I actually might interview her, but I may ask Elder Ellsworth to do it because I taught her. Confusing stuff. Hopefully there's more exciting stuff next week.

Long Post. Goodbye
So that was a lot, it is definitely pretty weird that my year mark is coming up fast. Time is flying. Literally, a guy just threw his alarm clock out the window. Haha. Anyways. Just keep pounding away at life my good brothers and sisters. Read the Book of Mormon It's a great book. Changes lives. Peace out from O Town.
Justin Bieber stickers for Elder Shanklin from members of the ward in Oslo.
Notice the Book of Mormon underneath!!

Clear Eyes

Full Heart

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment