Teaching Africans
So in Norway you teach a lot of Africans. I know, fun fact. It's mostly because there's a lot of them here in Norway and unlike Norwegians they actually like Jesus. So yeah, we can work with that. However 90 percent of my time with Elder Clarke seems to be spent waiting on Africans. (sometimes we teach stray cats about the gospel while we wait for them...see pictures). Here are some of the following things I have learned (if you are an African person reading this then please know that I don't push these observations onto all Africans, I believe it mostly applies to Africans living in Norway, plus I love these guys so it's really just me expressing my love).
1. "I'll be there in 2 minutes"....African time is different than US time! On average you can give every US minute anywhere from 15-30 African minutes. Yes that's right. If your african buddy is telling you he'll be there in 5 then you have enough time to develop a plan to stop global warming!
2. "By the grace of god".....If an African person ever tells you that they hope by the grace of God they'll do something....they are NOT going to do it. Example "By the grace of God I will be in church this Sunday." Definitely not coming to church on Sunday.
3. "Jesus".....If the answer to every question you ask doesn't have Jesus in it then they aren't really African. You've been cheated. Example..."So Kabradochi why do you think it's important to go to church"....."man ya know, Jesus, he's the one, Jesus is, if we know Jesus then we go to da church and Jesus is at da church givin us his power, so we need Jesus, ya know."
4. If you don't feel loved and happy after an African prays then you either didn't listen or you have no soul. I can't even explain this, you just gotta be there.
5. Don't teach people who might have Ebola #beenthere #sketttchhhhhhhy
Cool American Couple!
We also had a really fun visit with an American couple. There last name is ABEL. I say that because he grew up in Louisiana, but it was northern Louisiana. Not sure if mom or dad recognize that name but I thought I'd throw it out there. He said that normal northern LA would do stuff and Southern would do their stuff, so yeah. Plus he didn't recognize any of the big families down in New Orleans so I assume not. They are so cool though, we had pizza with them the other night and it was so chill. They live in one of these sweet buildings called "the barcodes." They're these new modernized buildings in Oslo that are way cool. It was a way awesome gathering.
| Looks like this might be a bribery picture. Elder Shanklin opening hot dogs with his mouth?? |
| A mouth full of food!! |
Wow
So honestly I can't think of much else. It seems like life has been a bunch of running around to far away places trying to chase down people. Elder Clarke and I have a fun time and we are exhausted. Oslo can really wipe you out. The city always seems to be moving and that can be very tiresome. We had an MLC last week with president and that was pretty fun. I always love seeing all the other zone leaders and chatting with them. Nothing much worth mentioning besides that. The work is going forward and we're doing our best to make miracles happen here. I even ate some Filipino blood sausage meat thing the other night for a member. Not even close to as bad as the balut though. That is really all the stuff I got to say, I think I'm just gonna call it a day boys and girls. Hopefully next weeks letter will be more entertaining. PDay will be on Wednesday next week because of a tour thing we are doing sooooo remember that. Overall we are blessed here, it's really interesting to see yourself learn and grow. You find yourself trying to be the best you can in ways you wouldn't even imagine. It can be really hard sometimes, but it really is worth it.
| Oslo |
| Maybe they catch the train here? |
| Setting up for missionary training at the church |
Clear Eyes
Full Heart
Elder Shanklin
No comments:
Post a Comment