Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Everyday is Halloween in Trondheim-Week Three



Friends and Family-

So there is actually quite a lot to talk about this week so I probably should just jump into it head first. Its about to get crazy.

Norway Life
Okay so Norway is a great place and all but sadly they are very westernized and are a lot like the US. For example, the other day I was in 7/11 and a song came on, and i was like "Hey, this is T-Swift!" and then I suddenly realized it was a new T-Swift song. Or one that I had not heard at least. Anyways, the moral of the story is that I realized the world is leaving me behind, its a sad but true realization. I mean, just imagine, it will be 2 years before I get to see the One Direction movie. I'm not ever sure how I can feel satisfied bringing joy to peoples lives through the gospel when I know I could be at home watching 2 hours of nonsense as a bunch of hip young boys dance around to catchy songs. You must feel my pain. Anyways, I do hear a lot of music here that I ignore and block out, sports are on everywhere, the people here just do normal things. Weird right? 

Lord Voldemort
So randomly everyone in Trondheim, and by everyone I mean like 2% of people, has been dressing up like characters from tv and movies. The other day I contacted (talking to someone on the street and sharing a message about Jesus Christ with them.)  Lord Voldemort and he shunned me away with a flick of his hand and a grimacing stare. It was great. I thought about casting a spell or something but I decided there might be something in the white handbook (missionary rule book)on that. So yeah, we see pikachu, mario, and other such people on a daily basis. I'm terrified for Halloween. I hope they don't celebrate it because if they do I might just stay inside. People here wear the weirdest stuff as is.

Lone Ranger 
So this week my comp went on splits up in Bodø, so the four elders in Trondheim have total been here for 4 months, if you combine the time we have been in the land. So street contacting was just a blast. I got to be the senior comp with another elder that was in the MTC with me. We were out contacting and most people say no so it wasn't really that much of a test on my Norwegian. However, this one kid stopped and before I knew it we had been talking for almost 30 minutes in straight Norwegian. He refused to give us his number so I kept battling him on it. He eventually had to catch a bus but it was really cool to reflect and realize that I was out on my own without my comp who knows Norwegian and I still managed to talk to someone with the skills I had. 

Bros for Life
Elder N from my MTC group came into Trondheim on Friday. Best day ever. (Picture-sorry I could not open the picture) Trondheim has power house companionship's right now. Baptisms on the way my dear friends.

Life Lessons
So this is the big story of the week and I hope everyone can learn something from it. The first few weeks here had been rough for Elder L and I. We are constantly praying for the Lords support and help as we go out to find those that need the gospel. One morning an investigator switched their appointment from that evening to another one on Friday. So we sadly realized we would be left contacting for a long while that night. During that contacting we were finishing contacting a guy when a lady rode up on a bike and scared me half to death. I thought she was mad we were blocking the path so I immediately began to apologize in bad Norwegian. I realized she actually wasn't mad but had a question. She was curious of what church we went to and after we told her about our church and what we do as missionaries she excitedly took an appointment for the next day at 7. Well as she rode away we realized she was headed to the church. As soon as we realized she was headed to the church we took off on a dead sprint to catch her. I will never forget the feeling as we idiotically ran down a hill at full speed in white shirt, tie, and all. When we got to the church she was standing on the stairs and said "I couldn't wait, I had to see it". So after we let her in we decided to give her a tour and she absolutely loved it. I can't even begin to describe her reactions. She took one of  each of the 7 types of pass along cards and confirmed the next days appt. Now I'd be glad if the story ended here but the Lord teaches us in unique ways. We were sure this lady was gonna show up, accept a baptismal invite and in 2 weeks lead us on the way to turning Trondheim around. Well at 7 o clock the next day I waited and waited while my companion was on splits and sadly had to call to tell him how she did not show up. I was really confused and could not understand why the Lord would put someone in our path like that, only to have them not completely follow through. I was very frustrated and thought to myself that maybe it wasn't a miracle. However the next day at a mission meeting with our stud mission leader said something that struck me, he said something along the lines of, "I hate when missionaries experience miracles and then give up on them when the don't immediately produce results". I realize that the Lord works in mysterious ways and I refuse to give up on this lady. She had the light of Christ in her and I keep an eye out on the streets every day for her. Not the ending many of you expected but I like to think of myself as Thor in the end of the Thor movie, always keeping an eye out for her and when she needs us, we'll be there waiting ready.

The gospel of Jesus Christ blesses lives and I love being out here in Norway more than anything in the world. I refuse to accept no and even though we aren't having success currently, it will come and I know the Lord has a plan. Trust in him my dear friends. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts.

Much Love
Eldste Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment