Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Catching Fire in Trondheim-Trondheim Week Thirteen

Amigos-

Oh man, so this week was crazy! I pretty much have to just start with Monday and move forward. So for probably the first time ever this letter will just be in order of the way things happened. Enjoy!
Elder Shanklin, Sister ?, Elder Leighton
Maybe a Norwegian Ancestor????
Moving Out
So our boys Nielson and Leighton bailed on us this week. Heading to the good cities of....well I cant spell them so forget that. They're somewhere in Norway safe. So yeah my man Elder Skinner and Elder Jones new companion Elder Jensen is now in town. So we have J squared and S squared. What up. Elder Skinner is a boss and things are going to explode here in Trondheim. We have some pretty hefty goals but then again we have God on our side so is anything really too hefty? Nope. So it's gonna take a lot of work on our part put there isn't anything better! Gotta love it. Not much else there, Jones and I worked it hard on Wednesday before they showed up Wednesday night and that was legit. Starting a new era here in Trondheim.
Elder Nielson, Elder Leighton, Elder Jones and Elder Shanklin
One Last Time!

BYU Hat
So Elder Skinner and I went out at like 11 on his first full day here for some contacting and about 45 minutes into our power hour we saw this kid with a BYU hat on. I was like " SKINNER!" and then Skinner was all "Dude, lets get him.." So Skinner and I chase this kid down and with no hesistation taps him and says "Hey, are you Mormon?" While he points to the kids hat. The kid goes onto explain how he was in SLC for a trip with his school and lived with a Mormon family. He was so hilarious. Normally I hate when Norwegians force English onto you but this kid was just speaking in English and being a stud and it was awesome. He talked about the trip and we asked him about the church and stuff and he was saying things like "Yeah man, it's true", "No man, Mormons rock". We arent exactly sure if he knows what he was saying but we made sure to get his number just in case. As we started walking away we here, "BYU BYU BABYYYY!!" and we turn around and he has a huge grin on his face and is giving us a thumbs up. Such a stud haha. Even better, this morning someone comes up and taps me on the shoulder and its him! He talked for a second and then was like "I gotta run dudes but give me a call soon!" Lovin it.
Dodgeball Night
So this night was absolutely crazy. At about 4:30 Elder Skinner and I take a bus out to an area 30 minutes away to make personal invitations to members we hope will attend the baptism happening the next day. 20 Minutes out we get a call from T saying he can't meet at 7 anymore but would like to meet now. Well we couldn't. So we had to cancel. So we get out to this area and I cannot find where this first member lives, and finally after a long frustrating period of looking for it we find the house. And nobody is home. Yep. So we try to find the bus station that will take us to the other members house who is kinda close. Can't find that either. I am so frustrated at this point that I just decide, "Yep I don't care what that girl looks like is on the sidewalk over there, I am asking here where this stupid bus stop is." So I did and she helped us. Yay. Well Elder Skinner and I got off at the wrong stop so we end up walking a mile to the house. Now relive the entire story except in pouring rain that is literally coming sideways at you because of the 20 mph winds. Good stuff. So we shared the message and yeah, we headed back to the church. We were representing the missionaries at the YSA activity which was dodgeball. Norwegians are so bad with throwing things though so Skinner and I pretty much played one on one with everyone else doing there best haha. It was a crazy night.
Elder Shanklin and Elder Leighton modeling their
winter coats.

Dåp
So Elder Jones and Nielson were teaching this guy from Iran named M and he got baptized this Saturday. It was such a successful baptism! T showed up and a few less actives showed up and it was just a great turn out all together. M is so funny and he will be a great asset to the church. He loves kids and it's really funny to watch him interact with them, he's so huge and buff but then he just has this really gentle and soft personality haha. Elder Nielson was gone but considering he was part of a baptism 4 days into the land, it's only fair that the newby Elder Jensen gets a baptism his 4th day in the land. Fun day though, and the chocolate mousse desert thing was epic. 
Elder Nielson and Elder Shanklin thought they might
be good models for Julebru (cream soda)!!

Confession
Not sure if I should include this in my letter to everyone because they may judge my focus as a missionary, but I'm gonna do it anyways. The new Hunger Games movie is coming out and advertisements are ridiculous for it here. Seriously, Jennifer Lawrence is plastered all of the city. No complaints there. I think Jennifer Lawrence is the bomb, so I told Elder Jones when were on splits how I was contemplating taking one of the mini posters that hang inside the buses. The only problem is that I don't live on the edge and if you're gonna live on the edge in that way it probably shouldnt be on the mission. So through some under the table work and some ward connections I managed to get one! Skinner says I can't hang it up though haha. Either way I am pretty stoked though and there is an attached picture to prove it. Boo yah. Best Norwegian Souvenier yet.
I think the smile speaks for itself!
I Can Go the Distance
Well on that note I gotta probably get spiritual so you guys don't think I'm some sinner or something. First though I gotta give a shoutout to my brothers on great seasons in their respective sports! Well done and I can easily say that it was the highlight of my weeks to hear about it. Sad to see the Chiefs football come to an end but hey, District champs isn't too bad. So this week I thought instead of quoting someone LDS related I'd pull out another quote that everyone can relate too. Our apartment is trying to get pumped so lately this has been going through our head, "I can find my way, I can go the distance. I don't care how far, somehow I'll be strong. I know every mile, will be worth my while..." The journeys we all face in life are different but I know that this part of my life now is where I need to be. I am proud of the friends and family I have that made this same choice. It may not be easy but it will be worth it. Nothing can beat the experiences and strength that come from walking side by side for 730 days with Jesus Christ. I know one day there will be a moment where each honorable missionary will recieve "a heroes welcome" for everything he did. Clear eyes, Full heart.
All the missionaries in the Trondheim Area.
Don't they all look great?

It does my heart good to see them doing dishes!  Elder Shanklin and Elder Nielson
When I ask Brady if they were really doing dishes he said,
"Yes Mom, she does so much for the missionaries, it's the least we can do!"
Much Love 

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment