Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I'm going to be tired for the rest of my life-Halden Week Twenty One

Dear Reader: The following letter contains content that may be extremely boring. Due to the lack of events this week we suggest that all readers relax while reading and take breaks in order to prevent the loss of too many brain cells. Do not read if pregnant, half Arabian, or if you have anything else to do that could be better (feed the dog, sleep, watch grass grow, etc).

Glasses
I got my glasses fixed for 5 bucks! What a miracle! It really is exciting for me but like I said...this letter has Jacob 5 potential (#mormonjokes). Actually my comp was passed out during personal study this week and when I asked him what he read he said "Well....I tried Jacob 5" It was hilarious. Just another testament that we as missionaries are totally not perfect.

uhhhhhhmmmm...wow yep really boring week.

Muhammad Ali
So this was our only real success story of the week. I know. Sad. To be honest we had pitiful numbers. We did our best but nothing was working. So we were in the library printing our maps out and we have a Columbian bro there that we like to talk to. Well today he had a friend that was there as well. This guy was a riot. We tried to help him fix his computer which lead to a gospel conversation of course haha. When going through his computer to fix it I found a file named "Nice song with nice Kurdish girls". I died laughing right there in the library. It was even better because early he had said "Yes, I have no friends, I live the bachelor life...HAHAHAHAH" He thinks he's so funny and it's hilarious. He said we could come drink tea with him and talk about how he hates religion. I told him that sounded fun and that I had a way cool book in Persian that he'd love so we'd definitely be coming by soon (Secret revealed: Its the Book of Mormon). Anyways, we talked to him for a while and it was a fun little adventure haha. LOTS of laughing. Good times talking to Persian dudes in a little library on the Norwegian/Swedish border haha

Another Recipe
Figured I could make this letter useful and add in a nice recipe from the Naumu and Shanklin collection.

The Classic

Ingredients:
-Pack of cheap Norwegian meat (Quailty irrelevant, find the lowest price per kilogram)
-Rice...Just Guess
-American Vegetable Mixture (if you live in America that'd be corn, carrots, and peas)
-Sweet Chili Sauce

Instructions:
Cook meat
Cook Rice
Add frozen vegetables to meat and cook them in
Put all in bowl and cover with sauce

(For best results eat 7-10 times per week)


Wow
Guys I am just really sorry. This is like the Dandelion Wine of missionary letters. (#English1honorsjokes)
So here's some random facts about Halden that might keep you entertained:

-We are like 20 minutes from the Sweedish border. Most people shop in Sweden because the food is cheaper there. They also have Root Beer. 
-Halden has helped me make two life decisions. I will have a dog. My first daughters name will be Shaylee. 
-This Asian guy in the library next to me doesn't have his headphones in all the way so the whole library is currently jamming out to Bruno Marz. I think the librarians are too scared to talk to him...
-We go to church in Fredrikstad which is a city like 1.5 hours north by bus. Good stuff. It's so hard to stay away on those buses.
-Our ward is like half Filipino people! It's so awesome. They're so legit. This last Sunday a 5 and 3 year old sang in church (in Norwegian) and it was soooooo cute. Not a dry eye in the crowd. The spirit of the meeting was absolutely outrageous. It hit you like a brick wall. Gotta love it.
-Nobody is ever on the streets so we mostly bonk on peoples doors. Nobody likes that, but we still treat them with love.
-I am always really tired and my companion is always really hungry. Seriously, I've decided I'm going to be tired the rest of my life
-The area here is currently crazy for Mormons because some ex-mormon was interviewed in a really popular news paper and theres a really bad article in there. It's actually so inaccurate that it's quite humorous. Most members aren't mad because it's just really that sad and pathetic. 
-People like walking there dogs here.

Well I give up...This is just a lame week. I'll try harder next week my good friends.

Ending
I really just have (OH MAN. THE ASIAN GUY IS BUMPING MAROON 5 RIGHT NOW.........) nothing too heart pounding or thrilling to say. It was a good week and even though we didn't quite have many events or stuff it was a learning experience. Is today Martin Luther King Jr. day? Probably. So here's a quote that I made up that Martin Luther King Jr. probably would have said if he thought of it, "When you feel like giving up, that's when you know you've got a long ways to go". Hmmmm really deep. Yep. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts.

Reppin World Wide

Elder Shanklin

No comments:

Post a Comment