Man after 6 months on a mission you run out of clever things to say. I feel like my mission letter can be compared to the Shrek movies. Everyone loves the first one, but after that only people who pay to watch are the ones with no life (no offense to anyone) and the producers family (take offense if you'd like ;). (P.S. I personally liked all 4...or 5 movies). So yeah, toast to another week on a mission!
SHOUT OUTS!!!
So there are some necessary shout outs that have to be made this week. First off, to my homeboys back in MO-town entering there mission papers. My boy Hunter who is so fly that he's been registered by air-traffic control! And of course to my main man and brother for life Justin Shanklin who is....well I was impeached from my reign as family hero because of him, nough said. Keep it up my brothas! I know that the Lord is even more pleased than you can even imagine. Despite what anyone says, it IS the best decision you can make! Well actually that was my only shout out...sorry
Getting Started in Halden
So I have come to the conclusion that everything and everyone in life can be summed up in 3 words. Here are a few examples:
Jennifer Lawrence: HungerGames, Beautiful, Hilarious
Brady Shanklin: Gluten-free, Fresh, Lady-Slayer
Yep that gave a pretty good synopsis of the idea. However the three words for Halden would be "Rice, Single-ladies, Rain".
Rice-We eat so much rice. Elder Naumu is so good at the art of rice making so we've just come to eating it all the time. We make awesome food. In fact here is a recipe from this week.
Hot dogs, rice, and soy sauce:
Obey the following instructions with exactness for the perfect meal-
Ingredients:
6 Hot dogs
Lots of Rice
Even more Gluten Free Soy sauce
1. Cook rice
2. Cook Hot dogs
3. Mix both together with soy sauce and eat
As I said, we eat like kings. (This week we also tried spam with nutella, Spam=Great, Nutella=Great, The two together=....you'll just have to try it yourself)
| Spam, Eggs and Rice w/nutella- Yummy!! |
| Elder Naumu "preparing" the Spam. |
| Elder Shanklin trying spam and nutella together!! |
Single-Ladies- There are so many single ladies (members of the church) who want us to visit them. From ages 25-89. However we can't visit them without another man present, just mission rules, no biggie. With the limited membership in Halden it has been a head ache and a half. We are trying to work it out haha.
Rain-It rains all the time. So far it has rain or snowed every day. Feeling like a champ.
| Elder Shanklin-another day in the snow |
| Elder Naumu out in the cold. |
Elder Naumu
Elder Naumu is a way funny dude. He cares about people more than like anybody I have ever met. He always asks people if we can help them and that's something I am trying to adapt from him. It is way admirable. Elder Naumu also smells like prom 2012. No joke. The whole experience wrapped into a scent would be the lotion that Elder Naumu uses. So every morning, afternoon and evening I am left trying to recall the events of prom 2012. It's a weird thing, but seriously, he does. Elder Naumu and I also are really good at creating songs about being hungry to todays popular songs. It's a rather special experience.
| Elder Naumu |
My Imperfection
For those of you that were thinking I might soon be translated due to my perfection...have no fear! This week I got the most frustrated I think I have ever been on my mission so far. I noticed my glasses were loose so I was trying to tighten them. I took the screw out with a glasses fixing kit and when I went to put the screw back in tighter something amazing happened.....THE HOLES WOULDN'T LINE UP!!! The glasses cannot be fixed by man alone. I am positive, I was so mad. The little problems in life can be so frustrating. So yeah mom, I'm sending home, so looks like Christmas is coming early. Or late. Yeah... I tried for an hour to put the screw back in and it wouldn't. So dumb. Anyways you get the idea...still a little boy at heart.
Random Things about Norway
I'm not really sure what random things you guys wanna hear about Norway but I'll try to list some interesting things... I guess.
-I can see Sweden right now! We have a member there we get to visit so my mission I will have been in two countries! Heck Yeah! (Trip to the border soon!)
-It's not that cold. It hit -12 C yesterday but apparently it was -20 in Missouri. Craziness.
-It gets dark like 5ish and is light around 9. Nothing crazy!
-The girls are beautiful everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Sorry if that's weird but I just thought I'd confirm all Scandinavian stereotypes. I talked to Megan Fox at the police station the other day. Really though.
-The hot dogs are better
-We don't really eat that much exotic food...sorry
-School is like 4 hours and work may be even shorter
-Talking about religion is like (and I quote an investigator) "Flashing people your underwear". (I am glad to hear they have some investigators! I was beginning to wonder.)
-People excercise a lot...but then chew and smoke and drink and stuff....logically makes sense.
Talk in Church
I gave a killer talk in church the other day. Yep second week here, awesome. Anyways though, the Norwegian is coming along awesome. Actually my first day when I introduced myself to the ward there were three people who came up to me and told me they thought I was Norwegian. Boo yah. This Sunday the dude (I desperately want to change the word dude but it just wouldn't be the same) who translates General Conference (from English to Norwegian) was there and he said my Norwegian was UNBELIEVABLE, and then proceeded to correct two things so he could "lead me on the path to perfection". So I am feeling pretty good. I have been super blessed and it feels awesome to be strengthened of the Lord. So yeah, I've been super blessed. Gives me a way good opportunity to help Elder Naumu!
Girls are Crazy
Okay so girls arent really that crazy but it just makes for a nice title. But here in Norway I continue to have weirder and weirder experiences with women/females. One story I have completely failed to mention occured in Trondheim the week before I left. Some crazy 16 year old girl on a SUPER crowded bus kept pretending to look out the window and leaning on my shoulder and then she would practically put her hand on top of mine on the rail I was holding on to. Her and her friend thought it was hilarious...It was mostly just weird. The guy next to me just gave me the "Im sorry bro" look. Anyways. Yeah. Girls in Norway are also extremely difficult to decide how old they are. The other day a girl answered the door and she not even kidding could have been anywhere from 15-24. Not even an exaggeration. So then you get left asking "Is your mom home?" To which they give you the stupid look and say "Uh....its just me and my boyfriend"...awkward. (This happened this week but the girl was way nice and invited us back and the boyfriend was her older sister, yay!) Girl problems.
6 Months
Well this was a long letter, congratulations to those of you who made it this far. I am really impressed. Anwyays, so yep I hit the big ol 6 month mark this week. WOOT WOOT. Craziness. Seems like time is going by fast, then you remember "Oh yeah, I gotta do that three more times" and you realize you're gonna be in Norway forever. It's awesome. I love it here and as hard as it gets you've just gotta keep trucking along. Elder Naumu and I took some awesome pictures of us celebrating. Me with my oatmeal cookie (Birthday dessert) and then us with our celebration hats...livin the thug life. Haters. Anyways, it's been a stellar time writing you this 3 page novel, to end I think I'll share a nice quote from Elder Naumu, "Nothing is fun for 12 hours, NOTHING! Wait...except sleeping, exceeeept sleeping!" And with that the church has got to be true! Clear Eyes, Full Hearts!
| No Bake Cookies-6 month celebration |
| Looks like a pretty "legit" party! Elder Shanklin and Elder Naumu |
Much Love
Elder Shanklin
P.S. This is such a long letter...
No comments:
Post a Comment