| Elder Shanklin and Elder Nielson |
Oslo
So this week we had to make 2 different trips to Oslo. Yay for using all our food money on gas. It's okay though, both were great trips. We had a leadership meeting on Wednesday in which President gave both Elder Nielson and I topics to speak on. Thursday was a 2 zone conference with us and the east zone. The last group of missionaries before our group is leaving this transfer so it was weird hearing their departing testimonies. Overall some nice meetings. Nothing life changing to report on.
| Elder Shanklins dream car |
Skal Vi Danse
Probably the most legendary ward activity I have ever been a part of. The ward assigned all the youth to an adult and together they each prepared a 60 second dance to perform. They had 3 weeks to practice their dance and then this last wednesday they were performed in front of the entire ward at a competition setting. It was super well done. Judges, lights, sound, it was awesome. The bishop here is a character so as the MC he added a whole new element. It was awesome. Great activity.
| Drammen District visiting Heddal Stavkirke (Heddal Church) |
| Elder Shanklin |
| What a beautiful view |
Going Pentacostal
Well I don't know if you remember the story of Elder Childs and I going to a pensi church but here's another story for ya. On saturday we were contacting in the city when we stopped to talk to 2 people, as we were speaking a group of girls walked by and stared us down. They stopped about 10 feet past us. We finished our conversation and as we walked past them one of the girls broke off and put herself in prime "to be contacted" position. I wasn't going for that so we just walked by. Well they followed us and it was obvious. 2 of the 7 broke off and when we got to the stoplight said "hey are you two going around in the cold?".....uhm yes? Through a series of exchanges we found out they were missionaries too or rather a group of kids going around praying for people. So we had a good conversation before they blessed Elder Nielson. They were really nice, they just had a super weird strategy to start talking to us. They told us if we went to their church program that night then we could talk about our message after. So we agreed and later that night found ourselves front row at a pensi church. Yay. It was the worst. Sorry, no offense to the pensi people but it was just strange. There was lots of rolling around and weird movements and stuff that was supposed to be the holy spirit touching them I guess. At the end they did this thing where they picked out random audience members and gave a prophecy about your life. Two 6 5 guys in suits with name tags on the front row....I knew that even in an audience of 250 threre was a 95% chance we were gonna get picked out. Low and behold elder Nielson was told to stand up as they told him that he was about to explore new avenues and adventures in his life. The next guy told him to stand back up and told him that despite all the rejection in his life, he was awesome. So yep. That was our super weird trip to the pensi church. I think I'm going to have to turn down the next invitation though, I can't do it again.
Investigators
I feel bad I don't mention our investigators more so I'll give it a go. The work is really good in Drammen and we have a few people we are teaching. One of them is an african man that is WAY nice but has a super hard time coming to church. He always gives us delicious drinks though. One cool stories of the week is that Johanna, our new member, has a son (actually 2) that we are good friends with. We gave him the book of mormon this week and he already started reading! His mom was so excited. I'm not sure what was cooler, to see him reading or to see the joy and love she felt in having her son start reading. This truly is a message that blesses families.
Anyways, it was another solid week here in Drammen. We are very blessed and we're having experiences that are molding us for a lifetime of service.
Clear Eyes
Full Heart
Elder Shanklin
No comments:
Post a Comment