Come Unto Me
This week we seemed to find Drammens most burdened individuals. WIthout going into too much detail I'll tell their stories...
The first was a younger man struggling with suicidal thoughts. He felt as though nobody listened to him and that his life up to this point had been a waste. He even questioned us as to why he "shouldn't set a date to kill himself right now". We ended up having a long conversation with him on the street which ended with us saying a prayer together. He might have been a little crazy due to past drug abuse but it was still a touching experience to see someone who really needed the light of the gospel.
Later that same day we visited the man we had given a blessing to a few weeks ago. He continues to struggle with his current condition. He has a really negative perspective and has begun to question if God really does do the things that are best for us. We had a conversation about being grateful for the things we do have instead of being critical of the things we lack. His life could definitely be worse but we try to help him see the light and hope that comes through Jesus Christ.
The third lady is a sweet older lady that loves talking with us. We decided to stop by and ended up having a conversation out on her front patio for a while. She proceeded to share things from her past and childhood that were nearly impossible for me to truly comprehend. I could not even wrap my mind around being as strong as she was with having such a torn upbringing. It was a tender moment to pray for her and her family. To watch her cry in gratitude and then extend a hug. She is a wonderful woman.
The last lady was a miracle find. We were out knocking doors and as it tends to happen, we had 1 more door to knock before heading home. An older lady from Mexico answered. She immediately expressed her lack of interest in our message. How she had been cheated, lied to, and physical abused by religious groups in her past. That she struggled to trust people because most of them have abused the charitable hand she has extended. We listened. Never attempted to force our message upon her. Feeling our love she invited us in to pray with her. Yesterday we went back and enjoyed a light lunch and another prayer. No lessons. No numbers. But it's what she needed.
Closing
This Sunday during sacrament meeting I was deep in thought. Thinking a lot about the things I've done and been through the past two years. I was struggling to feel like the efforts or things I've accomplished could be enough for the Lord. Trying to find justification I felt no desire to share my testimony during our fast and testimony meeting, although it would be my last chance in Norway. In an attempt to possibly convince myself of the satisfaction I should have, I decided to go for it. I bore testimony and still felt nothing. Upon sitting down I saw the young daughter to a member in Trondheim get off her mothers lap and walk towards me and then past me. She walked out into the hallway and then came back in, looking around, pretty confused. We made eye contact and I gave her my usual "what are you doing here?" look. She came running over (mid sacrament meeting) and presented a picture she had colored. She pointed out my name which she had clearly written in bold letters at the top of the page. She then gave me a big hug and ran off. Only to come back with a second picture a few moments later. It was a tender mercy. It was nothing big. Nothing miraculous. But it was a manifestation to me of the love God has for us. That he wants us to know how great we are. That he wants us to know how proud he is.
Clear Eyes
Full Heart
Elder Shanklin
No comments:
Post a Comment